Basic research in the geology department focusses on three main topics:
- The geological evolution of the south Aegean region. It covers the topics of structural geology, tectonics, metamorphism, stratigraphy and present day geodynamics.
- Landscape changes and Palαeogeography, with emphasis to the topics of geomorphology, physical geography, surface water and environmental geology.
- Palaeontology research and conduction of excavations in Crete. Main topics of research are the study of the rich marine and terrestrial phases of the abundant Neogene and Quaternary deposits on the island.
Applied research is focussed on the protection and enhancement of Geological heritage, the petrological effect in human civilization on the island and the protection against seismic risk.
- Neotectonic study of Heraklion Basin. The study was focused on the geological and tectonic mapping of the broad Heraklion basin, the evaluation and classification of different fault generations and the morphological evolution of the basins.
- Evaluation of seismic risk in Hersonissos, Crete area. Geological and tectonic study of the local municipality territory as part of a project applied by the University of Athens.
- Terra-Dias Project: Characteristics of Natural Environment. Study and evaluation of the geological environment of South Crete.
- Stone sources of Neolithic findings in Crete. A project in collaboration with Archaeologists from UK and USA to find the rock sources of the stone tools of Neolithic and later ages found on Crete.
- Palaeobotanic study of Vrysses area, Chania, Crete. A Master Thesis at the Biology department of University of Crete, applied by John Zidianakis.
- "Evaluation of Natural Environment of Kalamafka, Ierapetra area, eastern Crete". A project funded by the Lassithi Perfecture for the evaluation and enhancement of the rocky environment of broad Kalamafka area.
- IKYDA Project: Tectonic and stratigraphic study of the Neogene basins in central Crete. Collaboration and scientific exchanges between Geology deps of Aristotle University of
- Yale – Nhmc collaboration project: Deformation and Fluid flow during the Metamorphism and the Formation of Mountains in Crete, Greece. In collaboration with Professor Jay J. Ague, Yale University.
- Archaeological survey of Pediada area, Heraklion Crete. Contribution to the Archaeological Project which investigates the effect of natural environment on the settlements and the civilization of Minoan and later periods in the area of Pediada in central Crete.
- "Psiloritis Natural Park", European Geopark. The department supports scientifically the development of Psiloritis Geopark as a member of the European Geoparks Network.
- Evaluation and Classification of Cretan faults, digitisation and homogenization of the geological maps of Crete under the EMERIC I.project. Co-coordinator FORTH – IMS.
- Siteia Excavation. The department addresses systematic excavation in the area of Gela in the district of Siteia in eastern Crete, where the fossil bones of a large Deinotherium giganteum have been discovered.