- University of Crete, Ph.D., Ecology & Biogeography of Coleoptera, 1996
- University of Crete, M.Sc., on Insect Ecology, 1987
- University of Belgrade, Biology Dept., Sc.B., 1985
Apostolos Trichas is curating the Arthropod Collections at the Natural History Museum of Crete for the last 20 years. As a beetle specialist, his research interests are currently focused on Taxonomy, Ecology, Biogeography and Phylogeny of several beetle families in the East Mediterranean (Carabidae, Tenebrionidae, Histeridae, Dermestidae and Scarabaeoidea). He is regularly holding laboratory lectures on Zoology, Biodiversity of Insects and Biogeography at the Biology Department of the University of Crete. He participated in more than twenty international research funded projects and he is author or co-author of more than 15 scientific publications and reports, many congress announcements and author or editor of several books (both scientific and popular) on the Cretan and Greek nature. Since the early 80's, Dr Trichas has been an avid wildlife photographer, specializing in macro and insect photography, with several collaborations with wildlife editions (worldwide: Gallimard, National Geographic, NHM, etc.). He created (and further enriching) the photo-database of the NHMC (more than 150.000 photos or other multimedia files).
- Lecturer: 1989-2004 at Technological Educational Institute of Crete (Invertebrate Zoology, Biodiversity & Biogeography lectures)
- Adjunct Lecturer: 1996-2004 at Biology Dept., University of Crete (Invertebrate Zoology, Biodiversity & Biogeography lectures)
- Laboratory Teaching Staff: 2005-today, Laboratory lectures on Animal Biology, Biodiversity & Biogeography at Biology Dep., Univ. of Crete.
- 1996-today Supervised over 15 dissertations on Ecology, Taxonomy & Biogeography of terrestrial Arthropods at Biology Dep., Univ. of Crete.